Planning a trip to South East Asia? Here’s your essential packing guide for backpacking 3-6 months (or longer) in South East Asia!
Choosing what pack for South East Asia can be a tricky process especially if you’re indecisive like me. You’re going to want to bring E V E R Y T H I N G. Unfortunately, your backpack is only so big so
Now depending on your personal choice, you can obviously pack a lot less than this. However this is just a rough guide of what works for me. I hope this guide gives you an idea of how to pack more efficiently for your trip to Asia.
How have I only just discovered packing cubes this year? These things are a GOD SEND. Honestly.
They make packing an absolute breeze.
I purchased this set of packing cubes from Amazon. The set includes various sized packing cubes, allowing you to organise your items efficiently. Since discovering these I cannot possibly believe I was just going to throw everything into a backpack without them.
Tip: roll roll and ROLL AGAIN. You’d be surprised how much you can actually fit into packing cubes.
Not every place you stay in will provide you with a towel – and going by personal experience.. even if they do, you may not even want to use it.
It’s best to have your own multi-use microfibre towel. Microfibre towels are amazing as they dry super quick and are thin enough to roll up super small! The texture of the towel takes a bit of getting used to but it’s so worth it.
- 9 tank or crop tops.
- 2 short sleeve tops
- 1 long sleeve top
- 1 long skirt
- 3 dresses (2 day dresses and one evening)
- 1 pair of leggings
- 2 pairs of lightweight cotton pants
- 7 pairs of shorts, at least one with pockets that button or zip (easy to carry money and a key on a night out)
- 1 scarf for covering shoulders (buy there)
- 9 pairs of bikinis (NOT essential, but atleast 2-3 bikinis)
- 7-10 pairs of underwear and 2 bras
- 1 hoodie (for plane journeys or cooler nights)
- 2 pairs of flip flops (one for the shower/hotel room and one for comfy wear – could get away with just one)
- 1 pair of cute sandals
- 1 pair of trainers
- Microfibre travel towel
- Menstrual cup
- SPF 50 Mattifying Face Lotion
- Mosquito repellant – Maximum strength (factor 4)
- 1 pair of trainers
- Tiger balm (BUY THERE)
All other toiletries such as shower gels etc you can easily buy there.
SPECIAL TIP: For my WOC (Black, Asian girls) Bring you hair products! Unfortunately the supplies are limited out here so if you have a staple hair moisturiser or gel you may want to bring that. As for shampoo’s etc you can buy them here and add products such as coconut oil or aloe vera to make them more intense.
So there we have it. I hope everything listed helps give you a clearer idea of what you should pack for South East Asia. Don’t forget to watch my full video where I go into more detail on what I have packed.